The Twelve Scrolls Of Hantei
A Scorpion Courtier
1. WHAT CLAN DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
The Scorpion Clan, the Underhand of the Emperor.
2. HOW WOULD OTHERS DESCRIBE YOUR CHARACTER’S APPEARANCE?
A woman of traditional beauty, with the most striking green eyes.
3. IS YOUR CHARACTER A BUSHI, SHUGENJA, MONK, OR COURTIER?
Akiko works to advance her clan in the courts
4. WHAT FAMILY DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
The Scorpion clan vassal family the Shosuro
5. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S MAIN MOTIVATION?
First the clan, then your lord, then your direct superior, then yourself, that is the order of loyalty that the Scorpion clan values most.
6. WHO IS THE PERSON YOUR CHARACTER TRUSTS MOST?
Her twin brother Akihiko.
7. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S GREATEST STRENGTH? GREATEST WEAKNESS?
She is supremely confident in her skill in the courts, but can’t keep finances at all.
8. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF BUSHIDO?
Bushido is well and good for the Lion and Crane but as a Scorpion it is only an ideal that works so long as someone keeps the world from falling apart for them.
9. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S OPINION OF HIS OWN CLAN?
The Scorpion clan is the glue that hold the entire Empire together
10. IS YOUR CHARACTER MARRIED?
No, not yet but maybe someday
11. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY PREJUDICES?
Akiko believes that Lions and Crane are idealistic fools.
12. TO WHOM DOES YOUR CHARACTER OWE THE MOST LOYALTY?
First the clan, then your lord, then your direct superior, then yourself
13. WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER’S FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE THINGS?
Akiko loves Ikebana and strives to grow in skill and understanding
14. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY RECURRING MANNERISMS?
Due to her green eyes she can not lie.
15. WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER’S EMOTIONS?
She keeps her On as well as anyone else.
16. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE A SUBORDINATE’S IMPROPER BEHAVIOR?
Depends on the status of the subordinates; for samurai she would work to reduce his status and give him lesser duties.
eta would just be executed.
17. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS DESCRIBE HER?
Beautiful, loyal, and skilled at Ikebana.
18. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S HIGHEST AMBITION?
To marry the love of her life Moto Yiting and serve
19. HOW RELIGIOUS IS YOUR CHARACTER?
It could be said that she holds her ancestors in high regard, as well she respect the ways of Shinsei. She also regards Shugenja with proper reverence.
20. IF YOU COULD, WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE YOUR CHARACTER?
Never sacrifice your family for your love.
21. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE AN ULTIMATE GOAL, AND IF SO, WHAT IS IT?
Build up Moto Yiting’s status so that she can marry him with no problems from her family.
22. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S SECRET, AND WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF IT IS DISCOVERED?
She loves Moto Yiting, and her love for him could be used against her.
23. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF THE POLITICAL CLIMATE IN ROKUGAN?
She thinks that the political climate is prime for her to ply her skills.
24. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER DO TO RELAX?
25. IF YOUR CHARACTER WERE GIVEN A KOKU, HOW WOULD HE SPEND IT?
She would give it to whoever is handling her fiances, because such knowledge is beneath her.
26. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE A STEREOTYPICAL VIEW OF THE LOWER CLASSES?
27. WHAT ARE THE NAMES OF YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS AND SIBLINGS, AND WHAT DO THEY DO?
Her mother’s name is Hanae, she is a Courtier and she keeps the house. Her father is Hibiki a Bushi of the Scorpion Clan. Her Twin Brother is Akihiko, and he is a Ninja, that currently surving in the Emperial Legion.
28. WHAT REWARD WOULD YOUR CHARACTER MOST WISH TO RECEIVE?
Status, and acclaim, and secrets about those around her. And ultimately the marriage to the love of her life.
29. WHAT DO YOUR CHARACTER’S KATANA AND SAYA LOOK LIKE?
She doesn’t have a Katana, but her Wakazashi is a simple blade that has barely ever been drawn, and her saya is a stylized scorpion swimming in the water.
30. DOES YOUR CHARACTER REVERE THE TAO OF SHINSEI OR THE FORTUNES MORE?
Shinsei, the teacher.
31. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S MOST SACRED POSSESSION?
Her mask, given to her by her love, her first mask tore while she was riding with Akihiko and Yiting. Yiting tore his own sleeve and gave it to her to cover her face so that she wouldn’t be without a mask.
32. WHO IS YOUR CHARACTER’S CLOSEST FRIEND?
Her twin brother Akihiko.
33. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER LOVE, FEAR, AND HATE?
She loves Moto Yiting and Ikebana, fears that one day her brother will be ordered to do something and she will never see him again, and she hates icky stuff.
34. HOW DOES YOUR CHARACTER FEEL ABOUT EACH OF THE GREAT CLANS?
Crab, blunt but easy to manipulate
Crane, prissy little girls (yes even the guys)
Dragon, weird, just plane weird
Lion, Egotistical assholes
Unicorn, Some are alright, some are outsiders, but she loves them more then they know.
35. HOW DOES YOUR CHARACTER FEEL ABOUT DIFFERENT PROFESSIONS IN THE CELESTIAL ORDER?
Bushi; She feels she can do more damage before her first cup of Jasmine tea then a Bushi can do in a year, however sometimes a blade has to get wet. Shugenja; They are priests, they are needed to keep the faith while those that seek to destroy us from the shadows are fought by the Scorpion. Courtiers; They can do the most damage of anyone in the empire. Ninja; they fight in the shadows so that we don’t have to fight.
36. WHO IS YOUR CHARACTER’S IDEAL MATE?
Moto Yiting, a strong smart Samurai of the Unicorn Clan. He is something of a tactition as well as a warrior. He hones his mind just as much as his sword arm.
37. HOW DOES YOUR CHARACTER REACT TO MINOR IMPURITIES OR IRREVERENCE IN OTHERS?
Impurities are reversed and used against the offender. Irreverence is used to shame the offender.
38. HAS YOUR CHARACTER EVER BEEN EXPOSED TO MAHO OR OTHER MAJOR BLASPHEMIES?
No, she is a courtier not a Crab
39. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO YOUR CHARACTER?
Never sacrifice your family for your love.
40. WHO WOULD BE YOUR CHARACTER’S ULTIMATE ENEMY?
Anyone that would use her love against her.
Shosuro Akiko is a beautiful maiden of the Scorpion, and a dangerous woman to anger. Her wrath is never simple and she never forgets even the smallest slight. One would do better to upset a Matsu or an Utaku for death would be quicker than the punishment that would be delivered to you by the words Akiko could speak, you find your simple remark forgotten when you are fighting to regain your status as people forget who you are in light of Akiko who is so obviously blessed by Benten.
And that is where the similarities between her and every other Scorpion clan courtier trained in the Bayushi way end. Akiko is a soft-hearted young woman in love, and it is because of that love that she was sent to work with the companions of Ujina Kenji.
It started during her brother’s gempakku when a young Moto Yiting a Bushi of the Moto school was invited to come test his skills. Akihiko and Yiting seemed to be the same yet different; Akihiko’s speed and allowed him to avoid most blows and find chinks in Yiting’s defense, Yiting on the other hand fought with both a sword and a war fan like he was some Akodo Tactician a,d using his superior stamina shrugged off most blows and responded with overwhelming force. The match ended in a draw, both men finding kindred spirits in each other. Later that day as the sun was setting a small group of new samurai were riding along the fields, the group included the twins, Yiting, a Hida bushi, and young Kitsuki. Yiting was showing off and when Akihiko attempted to mimic the feat of horsemanship his horse spooked Akiko’s and she fell braking her arm and tearing her beautiful new Silk mask. The Kitsuki was the first on there looking over her arm and setting the bone so that it would heal properly, then sending Hida to fetch some water. Yiting has noticed the tear in Akiko’s mask and torn his own sleeve to make anew mask for her. Akiko was so moved that she fell for the young Moto, they continue to correspond with each other, but as of yet he has not been given permission to marry Akiko.
However while Akiko is a patient woman she is still young and assumed that the reason Yiting wasn’t given permission was because he was not good enough for her. So she took it upon herself to build his status and glory at the expense of her on standing only to find out that he was directly related to the Moto Family Daimyo and that all her work was actually widening the gap between them instead of closing it.
It was a jealous Kakita courtier whom had been attempting to prevent the trade agreement Akiko was ordered to secure and secure it for the Crane instead that used this information to embarrass Akiko and force her to return with nothing. It was this failure that brings Akiko to the group.